THIEF! The Gutsy, True Story of an Ex-Con Artist

  • Stay tuned for THIEF! book signings, media interviews and other THIEF! events
  • Media Reviews posted periodically
  • Mobwriter comments on true crime events and books

THIEF! character, Vince Eli

Monday, June 9, 2008

You Never Know Who You're Gonna Meet

Just this morning I was getting ready to do laps at the community pool where I live, and a guy slinked over to me (no kidding) and introduced himself. This second generation Italian wore a gold chain and matching bracelet as thick as a guy's wrist. When he found out I was a true crime writer and wrote about the mob, he started to go on about how he never talks about "family." The way he went on and on about never talking about family, I was sure that if I gave him a few more minutes of my time, he'd spill the entire story of his "connected" life.

Then he told me he owns a go-fast boat he named Bad Boy but changed it to Bad Toy when his then Russian girlfriend threw a fit about cheating on her. The guy offered me some vodka and cranberry drink he had at poolside. I politely declined as it was 9:00 a.m....just a little early for me and excused myself to do my laps.

When I was leaving, he again envited me for drink. And again I begged off, this time saying I had to go teach a guy a lesson. I thought he was going to choke on his vodka. He's propably still laughing as I write.

You just never know who'll meet at the neighborhhod pool these days.

No comments: